Friday, November 19, 2004

grateful applicant

One of the rewards of being a terror interviewer is in the satisfaction of knowing that you made a difference in someone's life. Or at the very least, left such an unforgettable impression.

I got an email a few days ago from one of our applicants. She graduated magna cum laude, majored in accounting. Her transcript was glowing with A's. The interview, though, was disappointing. But here's the email:

"Hello!

You've recently interviewed me last November 3. I know I did not do well in the interview. You may already have had the position filled. Anyway, that's not the point why I emailed you. I emailed you because I wanted to thank you for pointing out the things I did not generally think of until I had the talk with you. Over the past few days, I've been looking for the answers for the questions you asked of me. It's been really enlightening. For instance, I now know why "Cash is King" (I even found a whole article on this.) I now can relate to the issue regarding SSS and Equitable PCI shares. I now can tell you that it was a "fiscal" crisis Pres. Arroyo was talking about and that she gave a statement about it being over (despite the budget deficit and the all-time high inflation of 7%).

Again, thank you. You've changed how I looked at finance. It some ways, it has helped me. I now regularly read BusinessWorld and study finance in a different light. It's another world but it's been fascinating."

4 Comments:

Blogger City Slicker said...

See? At least, now, you've helped turn a person's life around!

Friday, November 19, 2004 at 2:30:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Rohini Mohan said...

wow. that email should've assured you a night's sound sleep, in the warm glow of having helped someone. nice.
why don't you write longer posts? you're writing is quite interesting

Monday, November 22, 2004 at 2:24:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Kitty Litter said...

Believe it or not, I think a terror interviewer is easier than the nice ones. You never know what the nice ones are up to. ^_^

Doesn't it make you feel good? I don't think the email was meant to be ironic. Did you hire her? Now I want to know the rest of the saga.

Tuesday, November 23, 2004 at 11:51:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger categorically imperative said...

Hire her? hell no. But I'll definitely give her a call when (not if) I put up my own business. I'll have her do my books. hehe.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004 at 6:54:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home