Wednesday, March 07, 2007

One-TV Household

A few weeks back, our Panasonic 24-inch which has been entertaining the family and guests in the living room for ten years already, grew silent. Picture was ok, though. This was the second time we had to take it to the repair shop, the first was a few months before when the ON switch wouldn't stay put. (It kept on popping back out, which made it turn back off.)

Two weeks later, the repairman gave up. "You might want to take this to Panasonic's service center," he said. So we did. On a Sunday. Jeez, of course it was closed. It didn't help that I'm only able to run such errands on weekends, and the past Saturdays have been booked solid for me. (Single mom here, see.)

So for over a month already, the two Yayas, LP and I have been subsisting on one TV, which used to sit in the master's bedroom.

Yeah, no TV in my room. Imagine that.

Exactly. Imagine having no TV in the bedroom. LP and I have been able to spend more quality time together. Talking, exchanging stories, reading, drawing...name it. I get home in the evenings, slump on the bed, reach for the remote, and find a book and a precocious six-year-old with a wobbly tooth instead. More time for tickle fights, hug fights, and kissing fights. More time for Roald Dahl, Judy Blume, and Captain Underpants.

My guess is that new DVD player will be gathering dust for a few more months, or until my folks come back home from the giant sandbox, whichever comes first.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's a cute repairman over here. :)

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 at 10:58:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger categorically imperative said...

Stalker.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 at 11:00:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember an NYT article which argued that we should turn off the TV, phones, blackberries, pocket pcs, etc. even just one hour a day, and you've gone beyond that. I wish my mom had more time to snuggle, like you, but like you, she also had a little trouble supporting a family without help. Sigh. I'm glad you find happiness in your daughter.

And now I will go away before I get messily senti. Ugh! >^..^<

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 9:46:00 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stalkin' my neighbor? no way! i mean, no need. I see you all the time! :D

Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 11:38:00 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home