Monday, January 29, 2007

I can't get over this. Really.

I got this for my birthday last year. I love it to pieces. And to think I've seen the movie(s) several times. True, Puzo's style was pulpy, the love scenes icky (he could've done away with such), but the plot and the Don's philosophy were amazing. I couldn't put it down.
So why come up with this.?



Searched high and low for a paperback copy, none available in the bookstores, and secondhand shops only had it on hardbound.

Now I know why copies of it abound in second-hand shops. It doesn't deserve the shelf space at home.

The characters are lousy (a Magic Sing-freak mafioso, an FBI agent who probably descended from Javert's line), the women unworthy (a female lawyer vigorously opposed against capital punishment, a forgettable nympho who wins Don Magic Sing's heart), the plot convoluted BUT horribly predictable. I had to force myself to finish it.

This particular novel was Puzo's last, and supposedly left to his common-law wife to finish. I'm not commenting on that.

4 Comments:

Blogger TK said...

"Real power can't be given, it must be taken."

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 4:11:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Unknown said...

The part where the Godfather confronts Bonasera at the beginning still gives me goosebumps.

"Why do you fear to give your first allegiance to me? You go to the law courts and wait for months. You spend money on lawyers who know full well you are to be made a fool of. You accept judgment from a judge who sells himself like the worst whore in the streets. Years gone by, when you needed money, you went to the banks and paid ruinous interest, waited hat in hand like a beggar while they sniffed around, poked their noses up your very asshole to make sure you could pay them back.

"But if you had come to me, my purse would have been yours. If you had come to me for justice those scum who ruined your daughter would be weeping bitter tears this day. If by some misfortune an honest man like yourself made enemies they would become my enemies... and then, believe me, they would fear you.

"You shall have your justice. Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do me a service in return."

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 11:44:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger categorically imperative said...

TK and Moc: Let 'em Sicilians take over.

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 2:51:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Unknown said...

They already have.

Didn't you get the memo?

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 3:46:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home