Tuesday, August 24, 2004

interviews

I've been on both sides of an interview. And I'm telling you, conducting an interview is tough, especially after a marathon that leaves you asking, What do schools teach kids nowadays???

We have a preference for kids from Ateneo and UP, and I've had my share of disappointments from fresh graduates of these very reputable schools. Once I interviewed and Econ grad from Ateneo, and he didn't know what happened in 1997!!! He has no idea what a speculator is, much less what a speculator does. Doesn't know George Soros from the expat waiting for the elevator at the lobby.

Then there was this kid from UP whose resume glowed with extra-curricular activities. You can tell she was masipag and all. Then I had the misfortune of interviewing her. She looked awful, dressed in ordinary khakis, a plain white blouse and loafers that have seen better days. NERD was an understatement. The worst part? Halitosis, dude. Her personality and oral hygiene wiped out any chances for a consulting job.

There was also this rich guy from Ateneo, whose dad was one of FPJ's campaign managers. Ang yabang pa nya. And another know-it-all with an MBA from some school in the US, who had the gall to give me a diskette when I asked for her CV. She even asked point blank if we were a fly-by-night.

More common are applicants from reputedly "sosyal" schools like DLSU. Aarrghhhh!!! I can take grammatical errors and mispronounced words, even punto, but when I ask you something in English, please do not reply in Tagalog!!! This DLSU BM grad who spent all her formative years in a Chinese school couldn't speak English NOR Chinese. She then asked if we all spoke English. I said, Yes, we all speak English here!!! Everyone in the building does!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home