Monday, September 13, 2004

demanding jobhunter

It's been pretty common for me to see at least three new job applications in my inbox every morning. I scan these CVs briefly in the morning and then get back to reviewing them in the afternoon, after which I either delete the email or call the applicant for an interview.

This morning was no exception. After a total of 3 minutes scanning new CVs, I went on to print some documents. Just as I was in the middle of a war with the crappy inkjet that refused to print my excel file correctly, the phone rang. It was an applicant whose application I saw in my inbox just a few minutes ago.

Rather early to follow up, isn't it? As he introduced himself I remembered his CV as unique because of his name. Not that I'd easily remember the name, but more for how I could possibly remember it, for his name sounded Indian. He had also graduated (with honors)from some school in Canada and wanted to pursue a career in finance.

I told him right away, I had just opened my email and there are over 20 applicants vying for the position, we'll just call you. I figured what I said was pretty clear as I put the phone down and went back to the printer spewing page after page of half-finished printouts.

Then it rang again. Lee, one of the guys here in the office, answered it. LG, he says he's from the Pakistani Embassy and he's asking why you slammed the phone down his ear.

Huh??? Duh???

First of all, I didn't slam the phone down his ear. Secondly, I told him we'd call him. Thirdly, kapal ng mukha to ask such a question. This guy's application is finished, I mumbled.

A distraught Pakistani irate at my rude behavior. Come on. He called very early in the morning, what right has he to assume that he'd be so perfect for the company? Just because he studied in Canada? Like, DUH! If he's so good, why the fuck couldn't he get a job there???

Pakistani embassy my ass, so what if his dad's a diplomat? Will his dad freeze all trade between the Philippines? What stuff do we import there, anyway? Goat meat??? Will the Philippine's GNP shrink from goat meat shortage???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home